Monday, June 3, 2013

Mandaue City wet market - our tour today

It's been awhile since I've posted --  we've all been really busy tying up all the loose ends and making preparations for our family trip to the Philippines. This time, I am happy to report that I am posting almost "in real time" from the Philippines and that we're enjoying some much-needed vacation time.  

While I love all the famous tourist spots and natural beauty and beaches, historical sites, etc. of the Philippines, I also enjoy getting out and experiencing the typical, everyday "real" Philippines.  I like to go beyond the typical tourist experience, get out and mix and mingle with the people, and visit the places that are typical of everyday life in the Philippines... farms, blacksmith shops, sari-sari stores, malls, docks and piers, etc.  Like any place, I think it is important and interesting to see the many facets and diverse walks of life of the people, to get a sense of the sights, sounds and smells that are commonplace and normal for the inhabitants, but exotic for the tourists.   A short while ago this morning, we went to the Mandaue City (a suburb of Cebu) wet market, which was a great experience for me.  I've been to some smaller wet markets before, including the one in Boracay, so I knew what to expect to some extent and was really excited about going there. But I've never been to a wet market of this size and scale, so I was in for a very pleasant surprise that did not disappoint.   

The Mandaue City wet market has tons of vendor stalls with a diverse selection of all kinds of goods, including a beautiful selection of fresh fruits and vegetables of all colors (many of which cannot be found in the U.S.), eggs, rice, dry goods, some clothing and electronics, and, of course -- what makes a wet market wet -- fresh fish, seafood, and meats.  It is an indoor market in a large building and covered from the elements, although the sides of the building are open to provide ventilation.  To foreign tourists from the U.S.,  Europe, Australia, etc., a trip to a wet market in the Philippines will be quite different from what he or she has experienced in everyday life in the supermarkets in their homeland, which resemble the SM hypermarkets in the Philippines.   We have farm markets in the U.S. with farm-fresh produce, we have traditional butcher shops and fish cleaning shops, and there are wet seafood markets in the larger cities, especially in the coastal cities, but these are all quite different from the Philippine wet markets.  Many of the foods would be seen as very exotic by Westerners -- such as chicken feet ("Adidas") or rooster heads etc. -- and have been featured on some of the Food Network shows like the American celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain's show "No Reservations".  I saw Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" episode about exotic foods to be found in the Philippines (this can easily be found in its entirety on YouTube if you are interested), and I was impressed with his great attitude, open-mindedness, and very respectful treatment of Filipinos and their culture. 

For all these reasons, I think that a trip to a large (or even small) wet market in the Philippines is a gem of an experience, and something truly not to be missed.   Getting there by way of jeepney, multicab, or pedicab, as opposed to taking an air-conditioned taxi, should also be a part of the experience.  One last tip - the seafood part of the wet market is not the place to wear your "Sunday best"... dress casually and wear sandals or shoes that can be washed afterwards, unless you want your nice leather dress business shoes to smell like a fish market!    

I was the only foreigner/tourist to my knowledge there at the time, which is a shame, because I really had fun and was treated with the well-known gracious Filipino hospitality.  I'd highly recommend going there to anyone who wants to check it out -- you'll love it!  Not to mention, there are some great deals to be had there on all kinds of fresh fruit, veggies, fish, seafood, meat, baked goods, etc. 


Eggs for sale at the Mandaue City wet market
View down an aisle of vendor stalls 

Bananas, mangoes, watermelon etc. at Mandaue City wet market


Both smiling, one shy - vendors with lots of calamansi (limes) 

Circular center of the Mandaue City wet market (this part is open-air to let in air ventilation and light)


This young egg vendor was happy to give me a cheerful smile for the camera

Eva's Banana and Fruit Retailer, Mandaue City wet market... I was surprised to see the owner's husband's authentic Pittsburgh Steelers jersey (Troy Polamalu #43)! 
Proud vegetable stall vendor, Mandaue City wet market -- humongous carrots!
Bebie Boy & An-An Meat Shop, Mandaue City wet market

"Adidas" (chicken feet) and rooster's heads... cock's combs, anyone?

Fish section at Mandaue City wet market.  Note the baskets hanging above -- these are the cash registers where vendors keep their money and make change. 

Galunggong fish at Mandaue City wet market

Butcher shop area of Mandaue City wet market. 

Segments of jackfruit pre-cut and ready to go

Poultry section at Mandaue City wet market

Jumbo prawns (shrimp) at Mandaue City wet market - these are awesome!


Eva's Banana and Fruit Retailer, Mandaue City wet market... I was surprised to see the owner's husband's authentic Pittsburgh Steelers (Troy Polamalu) jersey! 

Tata & Mia's Fresh Dressed Chicken, Mandaue City wet market
Snapshot of the action at the Mandaue City wet market

Proud vegetable stall vendor, Mandaue City wet market -- humongous carrots are about 3 times larger than the ones I've seen in the U.S. and Europe!








14 comments:

  1. Wow you're in Pinas!

    Good to know you're having a great time with the wet market. I was in the same kind of market just yesterday here in the city.

    I've been to Mandaue City once last year during the Sinulog Festival but I was not able to explore the place much because of the traffic from parade. I visited around 3 malls though :)

    Have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kumusta Balut!

    Yes, we're in Pinas now! We're so excited and already having a lot of fun (just starting to get over the jet lag). I really enjoyed the wet market, it was a really fun experience and I look forward to our next time there.

    I've never been to the Sinulog Festival in Mandaue City or Cebu, but would like to do that sometime. I am glad you had fun visiting the Cebu/Mandaue City area, and going to the malls in particular. There are definitely some really nice ones to enjoy here. In all honesty, the Philippine malls blow away the malls in the U.S. -- because we have a lower density population in the U.S., many of the malls in the U.S. are somewhat "dead", being not very busy with people, and are pretty boring. In contrast, in the Philippines, there is constant activity and fun, thriving businesses, lots of food stalls and vendors, and the malls are probably 3 times larger than most malls in the cities of the U.S.

    Thanks for wishing us a great vacation, and for stopping by. All the best to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous, you are in my hometown! Enjoy your vacation and looking forward for more of your holiday posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donah!

      Great to see you as always, and thanks for stopping by! What a wonderful hometown (either/both Cebu and Mandaue City) you have! Just so many fun, exciting, and relaxing things to do here. It will be really hard for all of us to go back to the U.S. -- sometimes I just really want to move to Philippines right now. I know that when you and your hubby go back home to visit sometime, he will truly enjoy Cebu/Mandaue/Mactan etc. Maybe you can go to Kawasan Falls too. Thanks for wishing us to enjoy our vacation, and I hope to post more soon. Best regards to you and your husband!

      Delete
  4. Replies

    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, and for wishing us a nice vacation! :-)

      Delete
  5. Hello Buzz L!
    Hey, looks like you really had a fun experience exploring the Mandaue Wet Market. I rarely see foreigners interested in the hidden nooks and crannies of the place they visit. You truly impressed me a lot! The last time we've been to Cebu was in Nov. 2010. I won't forget that because we tried the Edge Coaster Ride in Crown Towers plus the Sky Walk. It was highly recommended for thrill seekers like me and my family. I wonder if you are keen on such.

    Enjoy your vacay, Buzz L!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beng Gee,

      Kumusta? Thanks for stopping by! I sure did have a fun time at the Mandaue Wet Market. It is a shame that foreigners don't check out things like this, because these spots are really interesting to see and experience, and you never know what you might find in such a place. The Edge Coaster Ride at Crown Towers and the Sky Walk sounds really cool. My daughter and I are usually keen on those types of rides, but my wife not so much ha-ha! We did get my wife to go on a big zipline at Papa Kits at Liloan, Cebu, and I will post that soon. Thanks for your wish to enjoy our vacation - we're definitely will do our best!

      Take care!

      Delete
  6. Hey Buzz i was browsing through your blog and it made me feel like i was where the pictures and the posts were! i also enjoyed reading about it and it made me miss all the Filipino foods. Regards to your wife and princess :). God bless you and your family always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam,

      Thanks for stopping by, and I am happy that you enjoyed the pictures and posts, especially this one about the Filipino foods and produce/meats/seafoods etc. in the market. I sure miss the Filipino foods too whenever I have to go back home, as does my wife. Thanks for your best regards to my wife and daughter! Best regards your hubby and your princess also, and God bless you and your family always too!

      Delete
  7. Wow! You're in the Philippines, enjoy your vacation. I would say you're brave to go in the market. I brought my husband in the market in my county but sad to say he hated when everyone is staring at him. It feels uncomfortable to him which I don't blame him, that's why he doesn't want to go in the market anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mhie,

    Thanks so much for dropping by! Unfortunately, I'm already back home, but we definitely enjoyed our vacation, thanks. I miss Philippines so much already. I really love traveling in the Philippines, and by nature I am an explorer, so going to the market was something I was very comfortable with (I'd done similar things before in Philippines but never quite experienced this big of a wet market).

    I can understand your husband's feeling of discomfort in being stared at, and like you, I don't blame him. It's a little hard to get used to, but I think that with more exposure to it he will gradually grow more and more comfortable with it, and eventually accept it by mainly ignoring it. It's definitely less prevalent in the touristy areas of Manila and Cebu (probably also Davao, etc.) where people are used to seeing foreigners. For me, this is something that I've grown accustomed to over time and with experience in traveling to the Philippines since my first trip there 1996 (2 years after we were married). Initially, it did make me uncomfortable, too. But over the years I've just learned to accept it, and I realize that 85% of the time it is just due simply to curiosity and probably only 15% of the time due to disdain or resentment or xenophobia for whatever reason (e.g., someone being a "tough guy", someone with an inherent dislike or racism toward or fear of foreigners, or dislike of a foreigner being with or married to a Pinay, or whatever). I see some foreigners who are lecherous creeps and an embarrassment and detriment to those of us with good intentions, so I'm sure that plays a part in the 15% mentioned above.

    I think the worst things for a foreigner to do (not that I think your husband would ever do this) would be to get angry or anxious or fearful about staring -- or on the opposite end of the spectrum to get a big ego about it and think that you're some kind of celebrity or movie star -- but rather just relax and somewhat ignore it. That being said, I'm still conscious of the cues, sometimes subtle in Filipino culture (like eyebrow raising), that someone wants to talk or interact positively with me. After I was in the market for awhile, I was able to have some very friendly, fun and heart-warming interactions with some of the locals, even with little or no English from them and minimal Bisaya from me. Lots of beautiful smiles, laughter, comical joking around (especially when I pulled out the camera), and for many of the vendors I felt their charming hospitality as well as their pride in their family business. That to me was precious, humbling, and a wonderful experience.

    Maybe try this: Next time you take your husband to a nice place he is comfortable with, maybe an SM or Robinson's or Ayala mall in the city where people are more accustomed to seeing foreigners, cut him loose a little bit to interact and attempt to converse with people. Let him wander away from you for awhile, maybe even bringing your little one with him, and let him/them interact and converse with the salesgirls and salesboys and other folks on their own... it's very disarming and I think it will be a positive experience for him in an environment where he will feel secure.


    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with your thoughts, I just want to show him the wet market that's why I bring him in a small one so he would not be shocked.LOL! Every time I mention "will going in the market he immediately said " just go I stay here" hahahahha. Actually he was amazed how people works hard to sell and the fresh food we can get and cheaper which is organic here and sad to say it's expensive.Tourist area is not a problem with him considering he's an adventurous and he traveled for his work as well. Actually he visited the Philippines once hopefully we can go home pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mhie,

      I think he's gonna do really well with it next time because he has already experienced it once and will know what to expect. Best of all he has the support of a wonderful and understanding asawa who thought to bring him there for the unique experience, and who will always look out for the family's well-being especially in her country of origin. It sounds to me that he is a great guy and is curious, respectful of the culture, and open-minded, and I think he'll gradually grow more comfortable with "off the beaten path" experiences that take him away from the traditional touristy spots frequented by tourists. Even if he never does quite feel comfortable going far off the touristy track and deep into a wet market, he will still really find plenty other things to do to enjoy a wonderful family trip to the Philippines. All the best to you and your family!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...