Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day weekend backyard campout - pics at twilight

We had been meaning to purchase a cheap dome tent for our family for some time now.  The last one I had was a 3-man dome tent I purchased in 1987, which my wife and I used for some years during the early years of our marriage, then it got old and smelly and more or less dry-rotten.  Finally, about a week ago, my wife picked up a Coleman Rosewood 4-person dome tent at Target at a very good price with the intent of using it on occasion for camping, but also setting it up in our back yard for our daughter to play in it. Here's a link to the tent on Amazon.com:  http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Rosewood-4-person-Dome-Newest/product-reviews/B00891M334

Here in the States we have an annual national holiday called Memorial Day, which mainly honors military who have given their lives for their country, veterans who have passed away, or police/firefighters etc. in service of community, and the 3-day holiday weekend also unofficially starts off our summer.   This year, tomorrow, Monday May 28, is Memorial Day.   When our daughter finally discovered the still-packaged tent sitting in its bag in our garage the Friday proceeding Memorial Day,  she immediately got really excited and wanted to know when I would set up the tent.  So yesterday (Saturday),  she helped me to set up the dome tent in our back yard, which didn't take us very long at all.  We had it completed in the afternoon, but it got really hot and humid outside just like in the  Philippines (about 92 degrees F or 33 degrees C), so it was too hot for us to go inside and play since it was in the direct sun.    I promised her that we would have a little camp-out in our back yard last night, which we did.  My wife got her new camera out and documented certain highlights of our little father/daughter outing, which are shown below.   My wife decided to enjoy a quiet evening in the cool aircon of the house (with an original plan to watch a Pinoy movies, but she later decided to surf the internet and watch TV), while we explorers were outside "roughing it" in the humidity and heat and mosquitoes.

When the sun started to set, I built a little impromptu fire ring in our back yard, and gathered up some sticks to build a "tipi" style structure that would make a small but intense and well-aerated fire.  With some good kindling from dry bark, it lit up quickly and soon we had a roaring fire.

My wife wanted to mention to my readers from the Philippines and outside of the U.S. what "Smores" are, and she laid out the ingredients to show.   They're actually spelled "S'mores", which is a contraction of "some mores", as in "I want some more of those".    S'mores are a campfire dessert often made at overnight campouts for kids.   You take a graham cracker to make a top and bottom like a sandwich, then put a marshmallow on the end of a stick carved to a point with a knife (or a long metal fork) and roast it over the campfire until it is blackened on the outside and hot and gooey on the inside.  Then, the partially melted marshmallow is put between the two graham crackers,  with a piece of Hershey's chocolate  put on top of the blackened marshmallow so that the chocolate will melt.   The whole thing is eaten like a little sandwich, with the top and bottom layers being graham crackers. 

My daughter and I intended to use a little lantern inside the tent to read, but by the time we were in the tent, it was already about 10:15 PM, and we both had a very active, hot and sweaty day.   Before we knew it we were both out like a light, slumbering away in our sleeping bags.   We had a good night's sleep, as it had cooled down a bit from the hot humid day, and 3e enjoyed our little "long-distance" camping trip a few footsteps away from the house.  Here are the photos; all of which were taken by my wife before she got run off by the mosquitoes!


Bring on the night!



Gimme Shelter
Checking out the new tent... backyard camping
Coleman Rosewood tent at twilight

A quickly constructed fire ring and fire

Twilight through the trees

Burnin' like a flame


Nothing like a hot fire to warm yourself up during 91 F/ 32 C weather

The 3 ingredients for S'mores

Dome tent illuminated by fluorescent lantern

Magic lantern





Contemplating the fluorescent lantern



Soft sleeping bag - pretending to be asleep inside the tent





18 comments:

  1. Hello there!
    That looks like a wonderful camping experience for your pretty daughter. What a fantastic way to celebrate Memorial Day! A fun way to bond together. Would love to try that s'more too!

    The dome tent looks truly sturdy. We have two small tents here, but I want a bigger one just like what you've got. Very spacious!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beng Gee,

      Thanks for stopping by, and for your kind comments! Yes, we had a great time and a fun bonding experience. She shares my love for nature and really enjoys butterflies and all sorts of animals... more recently we're learning about and planting different plants. It's a lot of fun!

      I should have taken a photo of the s'more after the marshmallow was "cooked" on the fire and the whole thing was assembled.

      The dome tent has been very sturdy so far, and this particular model (Coleman Rosewood) is quite cheap, so that's an added bonus. You might be able to find it in SM or Ayala there, if not, maybe one of the sporting goods stores at the mall. They're a lot of fun. You can find ones even much bigger than this.

      Have a great day too!

      Delete
  2. I haven't done camping my whole life and your pictures are exactly what I imagined it to be: EXCITING! I hope to experience it with my husband and kids someday. Nice pictures. Always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello littleyana,

      Thanks so much for stopping by! I think your husband and kids would really love camping. It's a lot of fun, and the supplies (tent, sleeping bags, lantern) are pretty cheap. A nice little camp stove or a small hibachi grill is also nice, then you can cook barbeque (although many times camp grounds/parks supply them for free use to campers). You're right, it is exciting, but this time we only camped in our back yard ha-ha!

      Thanks for your compliments on the pictures - those were taken by my wife!

      Delete
  3. Great pix you got there Buzz! You have a lovely family. I also love camping and so with my 2 year old son. I remember our sort of little camping activity here in Dubai months back, when the weather was still awesome. It was really fun. We had a long hours sleep inside the tent which put up on the grounds of a park. Now that it's summer, camping is not a good idea yet, it's so freakingly hot and humid here right now. :)

    Eeiy, Buzz thank you once again for the add @ bloggers.com, really appreciated. :) Perhaps you are interested, kindly try clicking my name/link, it will direct you to the post I made regarding that little camping we did.

    To infinity and beyond!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Filman,

      Thanks so much for your kind comments, pare! You have a lovely family too - I did check out your post, and it looks great. I am sure your wife and son enjoyed camping out at the beach. That is true about when the heat and humidity go up (which it has started doing here in the summer in our part of the US)... you don't want to be in a tent in the daytime very long at all. I want to read the funny stuff on your website.

      You're very welcome for the add at Bloggers, and thanks for adding me too. Do you have a GFC link on your site for followers?

      Delete
    2. Hi Buzz,

      I would like to thank you too for taking time replying to my comment, for visiting my blog and for leaving a comment as well.

      On GFC, I do have one installed but not on http://etc.soundsfunny.ws/ blog, you can also check my second blog http://bbplusses.blogspot.com/ if you may.

      Is your wife a Cebuana? If so, then I'll say AMPING (ingat). :) I am a Cebuano speaking Pinoy.

      Delete
    3. Hi Filman,

      You're very welcome, and thank you so much for visiting and commenting too!

      I will check out your second blog and will see if I can follow via GFC there.

      Oo, ang akong asawa Cebuana, and after 18 years of marriage I've picked up a bit too (I can speak extremely little, but if I listen to conversations carefully I can follow the general conversation in Visayan fairly well). I have a book called "Magbinisaya Kita" that I want to study more intently when I get the time

      Delete
  4. Seems like you got a nice camp there. =) I remember the excitement I felt when I first camp with my classmates (part of school activity) - it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan,

      Thanks so much! It was a very simple little camping trip being that we only walked a few feet from the house. :) But at least we can go somewhere more adventurous next time! Thanks for stopping by, and I look forward to reading your blog.

      Delete
  5. Nice. I've been wanting to try camping, too. Would love to try Anawangin and Nagsasa Cove. Ever heard of that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, annsgzmn! You should give it a try. I have never been to Anawangin and Nagsasa Cove, but I looked both of them up on Google and I would like to take my family there sometime. They both look really beautiful, and I am sure they'd be great places to do some tent camping. Looking forward to checking out more of your blog.

      Ingat!

      Delete
  6. i miss this... me and my sibs used to do this before, and we only have makeshift tent (from my military dad's raincoat + blankets hehehe)... thanks for following my blog, am following back. see you around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi promding chamimay,

      Thanks so much for stopping by and for following my blog. Looking forward to reading yours too! When I was little, I used to make makeshift tents out of blankets, too. Your dad's military raincoat probably helped it to look more like a real tent. Take care!

      Delete
  7. One of the things that I look forward doing in the future is going to the woods overnight and sleeping in a tent. Problems is I don't know how to put up a tent, and I don't like mosquitoes. Still, I am hoping that one day, I get to fulfill this wish. Nothing can beat sharing stories in front of a camp fire with Mother Nature in the background.

    Thank you for a nice post !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah,

      Thank you! I think you'll really enjoy it, and I'm sure some day you'll fulfill your wish to go camping. This type of dome tent is really common, and very easy to set up (takes about 15-20 minutes). The instructions are easy, especially if someone else helping you. There are thin poles with elastic nylon cord running through them (which give the tent its "springy" flexibility) , and you just shove those poles through sleeves that are sewn into the seams of the tent, then stake down the tent and put on the rain cover on top. Both the Pinoy and American mosquitoes I've encountered seem to respond pretty well to repellent, but I think it depends on local conditions and how much stagnant water is nearby in the woods for them to hatch their larvae.

      Delete
  8. That was so cool Buzz! Your daughter is so lucky to have a father like you! Those bonding moments are priceless!

    Blessings to your family!!

    `Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kumusta Joan?

      Thanks so much! Awww, that was really sweet of you! Those bonding moments really are priceless, and it's such fun too!

      Blessings to you and your family as well! Looking forward to following your blog, thanks so much for following mine.

      Ingat!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...