Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Halo-halo: our daughter's 3rd grade essay about diversity

Our 8-year-old daughter's elementary school has an annual contest in which the students write an essay about diversity, which roughly coincides with the timing of the Martin Luther King Day holiday in the U.S.  The U.S. is quite a heterogeneous "melting pot" of people, and is comprised of immigrants and descendants of immigrants from many races and ethnicities, cultures, and religions.  That is something that has always fascinated my wife and me, and of which we are proud. 

Our daughter's entry is as follows (her top-down viewpoint drawing of the halo-halo dessert is shown first), and uses an analogy comparing diversity to a traditional Filipino shaved or crushed ice-based dessert called "halo-halo".   I would explain halo-halo a little further for those who have never experienced it, but I don't want to detract from  her essay.  So here it is... the actual photos of her handwritten essay are first (her name and the name of her school have been blocked out for privacy), and then the transcribed text is below it:








Halo-Halo
By: ________

     I am an American girl and I am part Caucasian and part Asian. My mother is Asian, she is from the Philippines, and my dad is Caucasian. I am here to tell you about my favorite dessert in the Philippines. Philippines is a very warm and humid country because it’s close to the equator. Whenever I go there, it is so hot and humid. Sweat from my body sticks to my clothing. Just then, I feel that it is nice to cool down with a nice cold snack, “halo-halo” (pronounced “hollow-hollow”). Halo-Halo is a famous treat from the Philippines. It’s like ice cream but has many different ingredients mixed together. Each ingredient is different. Well, some of the ingredients I wanted to talk to you about are the different kinds of beans. Each bean is different in its own way, size, shape, and color just like everyone. That’s why it is important. Each ingredient is also different; coconut gel, coconut string, sweet “ube” (which is a purple sweet yam), banana foster, ice cream, sweet beans, flan, jackfruit, sweet corn, milk, and crushed ice. Each of these has different colors, size, shapes, texture, and even taste. And that’s what makes us and halo-halo similar, not even one little person or ingredient are the same and all combine together to make a wonderful mixture or “treat.” If you get all the ingredients of halo-halo and mixed them together it would make a cold creamy treat. Just as if we all got mixed together, we could all get along well, much like all of the different ingredients of halo-halo blend together to form one great taste.

Students here in ________ School come from many different families to make a wonderful school. If we all work hard together, the world would be a better place, and we could have peace and good-natured people. We could be one big well blended community, working no matter how different we are from each other. It’s the thought and the heart that counts. Just like the dessert halo-halo, ________ School is like one big melting pot because many students from different places come here, and we all get mixed together to make one awesome treat!


Prior to submitting this contest, our daughter showed her essay to one of her teachers, who thought that our daughter had a good chance at winning.  In the end, our daughter didn't win the contest,  (we had of course told her that she might not win), but yet she handled it gracefully and did not get disappointed.  The teacher who liked our daughter's essay so much was a bit sad to hear our daughter had not won, but  she was impressed about our daughter's positive attitude and that she remained a good sport about the contest even though she didn't win.   All in all, it was a nice writing composition exercise for her, and she now has the satisfaction that although she didn't win, she put a lot of effort into this and made us  all proud by doing her best.

17 comments:

  1. Hollow-Hollow is the best! and so is your daughter..I can't even write like that when i was in grade 3.. *applause*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you so much, Clai, that is very nice of you! I will pass your kind compliment along to our daughter. It's just about dinner time now, so just thinking about halo-haol makes me hungry!

      Delete
  2. Oh! my! Oh! my! I like halo-halo too, and I misses it, especially the Chowking halo-halo in Philippines.It's ok she doesn't win this time, just encourage her to join another contest and beside she's really good enable to composed that writings at her age. here's my new post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice comment, Mhie! I am a big halo-halo fan also, and I agree with you that (so far) the best I've had is Chowking's. The taste and the flavor is out of this world. You are right, it's not always winning that counts, but giving it your best try, learning something from the experience, having some fun, and being a good sport. I will definitely check out your new post very soon.

      Delete
  3. Amazing! I can't believe it was written by a third grader! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pinay Ramblings! She loves to write and create her own stories as author and illustrator. I'll pass your kind compliments along to her.

      Delete
  4. What a sweet posts. I'm giving out my love by awarding you The Versatile Blogger Award. Please go to my blog link to check it out http://mnemonicreveries.blogspot.com/2012/03/versatile-blogger-liebster-award.html?showComment=1331508993387#c2234205638069585229

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salamat, DoNaH! I wouldn't have been able to make this post without the help of my wife (who photographed the essay) and my daughter, who of course wrote it.

      That's very kind of you regarding the Versatile Blogger Award. I apologize for getting so far behind -- work, family, and life in general keeps me very busy lately -- but I will definitely post that soon. Take care, and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Happy 18th Anniversary to you and your beautiful wife! I bet, that marriage will last a lifetime! God bless!

    Are you sure your daughter is only a 3rd grader? Can't believe it's written by her. She writes way better thsn some bloggers eh! Hehe.. She's got a knack for writting essays and her penmanship is legible and nice. I'm so impressed!

    Nice blog here. Will link this to mine so it won't get lost. Brb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beng Gee! God Bless you and your family too.

      Yes, our daughter is only a 3rd grader! She really enjoys writing and reading. Thanks for your kind compliments, she will be thrilled when I tell her.

      Your blog is very nice too, and I will definitely link it to mine too very soon. Take care!

      Delete
  6. Wow! That's so neat, intelligent, and the wisest analogy of diversity and blending coming from an 8 year old! Atta girl! DId she win the essay contest? This is worth publishing in a local newspaper or even bigger!
    I love halo-halo too! I miss it.
    Your daughter is both beauty and brains. GOd bless her and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pearl,

      Thanks so much for your kind comments, I will make sure that she reads them! She didn't win the essay contest, but we're very proud of her and she gave it her best shot... and importantly, she had fun with it and was a good sport about not winning.

      Halo-halo is awesome. I hope some enterprising Pinoy or Pinay will open up a halo-halo shop in the U.S. and that the trend will spread throughout the States, but unfortunately that hasn't happened yet. But we're still waiting for even Jollibee to break out of CA and NV ha-ha!

      God bless you and your family also. I will be sure to stop by your blog and read more in depth in the near future.

      Delete
  7. I love Halo Halo. I only dont like to bite the coconut jelly. Love to topped it with vanilla icecream. Cost $2 each here in Brunei :)

    Thanks for following :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esma,

      Thanks so much for visiting, and for following too! Looking forward to checking out your blog in more detail!

      I love halo-halo too, as does my wife and daughter. It really can't be beat, and there are so many different variations you can make/request. I actually like the texture of the cocogel coconut jelly, but I can see why you might not.

      I had always assumed that halo-halo is uniquely Filipino, is the Bruneian/Malaysian variety one that developed independently in Brunei or Malaysia, or is it something that became popular there because it was brought there by Filipinos? It's interesting to me how foods migrate along with people, and then become established in their new place. It's also interesting how a restaurant from a foreign land can most often be successful if it adapts a bit to the taste preferences of the local population (for instance, American fast food hamburger patties have been sweetened in the Philippines in comparison to the ones we get here in the U.S., in order to suit the tastes of Filipinos).

      Delete
  8. Hollow-hollow. Such a classy pronunciation for our favorite native refreshment! :)

    followed you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jelai,

      Thanks so much for stopping by and following! Looking forward to checking out your blog!

      Ah yes, "hollow-hollow" LOL! Halo-halo is a little bit tough in English, because we would pronounce "halo" the same as an angel's or saint's halo. The "w" on the end of "hollow" doesn't really work with "halo-halo", since the o's are kind of clipped and spoken very quickly in Tagalog or Visayan, and not really drawn out for a longer time as we would do with a "w" after the "o" in English. But it sure is refreshing as the native refreshment and national treasure of the Philippines!

      Delete
  9. I never thought that a favorite desert like the halo halo can be compared to a mixture of cultures blending to get along. What a creative way to express her opinion about diversity !

    Hmm, I suddenly crave for halo halo. Her article had made me hungry.Lol !

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...